Play Facilitator Job Description
SUPERVISOR: Visitor Services Manager
STATUS: Part-time, Non-Exempt
Staten Island Children’s Museum (SICM) is seeking to hire part-time Play Facilitators to support visitor experiences in the Museum’s permanent exhibits and outdoor spaces. Play Facilitators responsibilities include registering admission tickets, interfacing with visitors to ensure they feel welcomed and oriented, monitoring and maintaining the Museum’s exhibits, and working cooperatively with a dynamic team to ensure visitors have a positive experience. During spring of 2021, Play Facilitators will primarily work on weekends and select holidays, with some weekday opportunities as available.
- Greet and orient visitors in a warm and welcoming manner as they arrive and provide information on the museum’s safety protocols, visitor amenities, and exhibits.
- Offer prompts for play and suggestions for interaction to families navigating the Museum’s exhibits and spaces in a self-guided manner.
- Check in visitors with pre-registered tickets, sell tickets and process memberships.
- Oversee the order, setup, and maintenance of assigned exhibit areas or rotations.
- Reinforce museum guidelines related to social distancing and safety measures related to exhibits and visitor interactions.
- Reset, restock, and maintain cleanliness of exhibits throughout the day as per the Exhibit Maintenance guide
- Participate in offsite outreach at other sites around Staten Island from time to time.
- Minimum of one year working with children in another museum or cultural institution, preschool or daycare, afterschool, summer camp or other family-oriented setting.
- Experience in guest management, hospitality or customer service preferred.
- Excellent verbal communication skills and ability to present information clearly and confidently to visitors
- An outgoing personality and sincere interest in connecting with people of many backgrounds and all abilities
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently
- Flexibility, focus on solution-building, and excellent critical thinking and judgment
- Knowledge of Staten Island
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Must have the ability to stand and walk for extended periods
- Must be willing to wear a mask for extended periods
- Staff will be asked to wear a t-shirt, apron, ID badge and other items that help to identify them as Play Facilitators
7 to 21 hours a week depending on schedule needs. Availability requirement: 2 weekend days and select holidays.
$15/hour, paid bi-monthly. Additional benefits include paid time off, accrued based on number of hours worked, professional development opportunities and training, membership, and free admission to most NY-based cultural institutions.
Please send a cover letter and resume as 1 PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org with “[Your Last Name]–PlayFacilitator” in the subject header. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with priority given to those received by March 15, 201. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls for position inquiries, please.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
SICM is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, national origin, ethnic origin, citizenship status, disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law in its employment policies.