We are excited to announce the creation of At Home with SICM: a program offering FREE online resources for parents, teachers and other caregivers to use at home during this time of social distancing. These resources provide enriching and fun activities on an array of topics for families with children ages 2 and up. They can be found at the webpage: https://sichildrensmuseum.org/at-home-with-sicm/
The resources include original visual arts and science videos which can be done with materials easily sourced at home. Also included are videos about the museum’s exhibits and animal collection, stories read aloud by our educators, fun fitness instructions and live streaming dance and play circles. Each week, a different exhibit-based activity sheet such as “Great Explorations – Oceans” with engaging activities related to “Do, Act, Create, etc.” are available as PDFs for downloading.
“Once we closed in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, our Education and Exhibits teams quickly pivoted to developing videos and print-at-home activity sheets that would bring the Children’s Museum to the families we serve since they could no longer come to us” explained Dina Rosenthal, Executive Director. “Our staff is eager to be supportive to the community and hopes that by providing easy access to cultural activities, we can help children and families through this isolating and uncertain time.“
Additionally, The Children’s Museum’s Facebook, Instagram and Twitter pages are posting ideas, activities, and videos that can help families during this time when schools and childcare facilities are closed.
Looking for outdoor activities on Staten Island? The Staten Island Children’s Museum as two amazing outdoor exhibits as well as the front Meadow, perfect for outdoor playtime and picnicking!
Stop by the Sea of Boats Amphitheater where you can set sail wherever your imagination takes you! This soft-surface play space features boats, a lighthouse and crow’s nest. Try using the radar, morse code and then test your skills at fishing and oystering for a fun interactive learning experience. In July & August, enjoy our free Boogie Woogie Wednesday dance, music and cultural performances. You can also cool down with water play during these hot summer months.
Our Garden Terrace is exhibit in a natural setting that is also a fun and interactive space. Learn how composting works and then make beautiful music with rocks, sticks and items found in nature. Enjoy water play at the pump or relax and play a game of checkers. Let our outdoor patio space inspire you while enjoying the outdoors.
You can stop by at our outdoor Café Plaza (open seasonally) and enjoy a snack or refreshments from the Café inside. (open weekdays)
After enjoying some outdoor fun with nature, wander inside and explore our many indoor exhibits and programs.
If you think there is nothing to do on a rainy day, you probably haven’t tried the Staten Island Children’s Museum, where there is always something fun to do, rain or shine!
Come to the Staten Island Children’s Museum and…
Visit our Bugs & Other Arthropods Exhibit
- Crawl through a human-sized anthill
- Try on an exoskeleton
- Listen to our insect orchestra
- Check out live animals and fun games and see that bugs aren’t so scary!
Visit our House About It Exhibit
- See our two-story unfinished house
- See what’s behind the walls of a house
- Learn about the people who build our homes
- Try the new crane and conveyor belt
Visit our Walk-In! Workshop
- Bring out your inner artist or scientist
- Paint, sculpt, draw or invent
Visit our Great Explorations Exhibit
- Explore our rainforest and pack the right tools for your journey
- See what it’s like to cross a river on a raft, log or lily pads
- Dive into an ocean and explore sea life
- Conquer the tundra on a sled or climb the rock wall
- Broadcast your adventures from the WEXP Radio Station
Hit the Big Games Exhibit
- Play Life-Sized Chess
- Giant Dominoes
- Giant Bowling
- Giant Checkers
- Giant Connect Four
- Play with a Lite Brite wall
Fight Fires on The Ladder 11 Fire Truck
- Pretend you’re a firefighter
- Try on your gear and ring the bell
- Slide down the pole
- Have fun with our 1941 Seagrave interactive fire truck
Perform in Portia’s Playhouse
- Try on Costumes
- Learn to act and perform on stage
- Check out the puppet theater
Kids can learn to cook
- Try new recipes in our Friday afternoon Kidz Cook sessions
Visit our Community Gallery
- Enjoy 2,500 square feet of art exhibits featuring art by children and students
- Art that visitors of all ages will enjoy in a natural light-filled gallery
Climb aboard our Pirate Ship at Block Harbor
- Set sail as far as your imagination will take you
- Build your own city with Giant Building Blocks
- Play with puzzles or enjoy a story in Judy’s Book Nook
These are some of the wonderful things you can do at Staten Island Children’s Museum on a rainy day. We have more to do when the sun is shining too. Come and visit. Play, learn, interact and have plenty of fun!